click on photo to enlarge
The first person to correctly identify the site in the photo above will be recognized as a truly perceptive scholar. Please send your responses to: Info@downingtownareahistoricalsociety.org
More issues area people were talking about 52 years ago
Noted below are news items originally published in local newspapers in the latter part of October 1963:
- A Philadelphia architectural firm presented details to the Joint High School Board on the proposed $1.4 million, two-story addition to DHS, which--in addition to 18 classrooms, a library, offices, an enlarged cafeteria kitchen, and an audion--included an auxiliary gym or an Olympic-size swimming pool. The architects estimated that building pool facility, including locker and shower facilities, would cost about $345,368. But an auxiliary gym would cost only $131,445, and it could fulfill the state’s requirement, in place of a pool. The original high school, completed in 1960, cost $2.7 million to construct.
- St. Paul’s United Church of Christ on Worthington Road in Lionville was celebrating its 125th anniversary. According to a 41-page, anniversary booklet on St. Paul’s history, the church had its roots in the White School, the first public school in Uwchlan Township, which also served “as a meeting place for the Union Sunday School until a Union Church (initially used by the Lutheran as well as Reformed Churches) was erected across the road from the schoolhouse” in 1838. And as a new, independent church back then, it was known as St. Paul’s German Reformed Church. The church was rebuilt in 1884, and an education wing was added in 1958. In 1934, it became St. Paul’s Evangelical and Reformed Church, and it has been called St. Paul’s UCC since 1957. The anniversary committee included William Peterman, Mrs. Elmer Matthews, Mrs. Fred Geiger, Mrs. Norman Davis, Robert Worthington and Richard Shreiner.