click on photo to enlarge
The first person to correctly identify the site in the photo above will be recognized as a truly perceptive scholar. Please send your response to: Info@downingtownareahistoricalsociety.org.
What locals were talking about 68 years ago
Noted below are news items originally published in area newspapers in the latter part of November 1948:
- The American Legion moved into its new post home, at 336 E. Lancaster Ave., Downingtown. Planned improvements on the first floor included a game room; a large lounge (but no bar) with a TV set and a radio-phonograph player donated by the Smedley and Aumiller Insurance Agency; and a large kitchen operated by the Ladies Auxiliary. A general meeting room, an executive meeting room, and temporary quarters for the caretaker were to be on the second floor. The legionnaires were seeking donations of a piano, a refrigerator, chairs and lamps. Also, Francis Summers and Robinson McIlvaine were appointed to represent the post on the Downingtown Chamber of Commerce’s committee responsible for erecting a new permanent servicemen’s plaque, to replace the one that was adjacent to Borough Hall.
- Telephone operators, who worked in the Bell Telephone office in Downingtown in 1948, included: Helen and Alice Doran, Grace Vernon, Eva Jane Marsh, Marjorie Lyons, Mary Thomas, Doris Howard, Nancy Jones, Lois Ross, Mary Hope, Mrs. John Moschitta, Mrs. John Muzii and Mrs. Charles Snyder.